Thursday, September 17, 2009

September 12-17, 2009

Kayla's finally napping; I've eaten, pumped and showered; now I can blog...

I don't know why it's taken one of us so long to finally sit our behind down in a chair and turn the computer on? For many of you, reading Gabe's blog is part of the daily routine, and I'm sure it's been frustrating to log in to G's blog and find that another day had passed without an update. We always have the best of intentions when it comes to blogging, but it seems to be getting harder and harder these days to find time to do anything. I know that there are still 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week, but it sure doesn't feel that way. I think it's safe to say we officially have NICU-itus. It's when you start to loose all since of time, season, and just life in general. In some ways I feel like my brain has gone into survival mode and is only allowing the bare minimum, the absolute necessities, to be processed. I can make sure Gabe and Kayla are taken care of, there is food in the fridge and the bills are paid. Other than that I can't seem to find the power to do much else. Some days I feel energized and like I can take on the world, and others I just want to curl up on the couch, shut the world out and watch chick-flicks all day. I can't even begin to explain what it feels like to have one of the loves of your life fighting so hard, every day, just to get through that day. Gabe is the strongest and bravest person I have ever met. How he has made it through the things that he has, I have no idea? I've recently started saying that the kid "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" He truly is Super G! I know that I have the strength within to continue battling right along side my Bubba. God never gives you more than you can handle...or something like that. well if that is the case then the Big Guy must have a lot of faith in Jesse and I.

Gabe continues to fight forward. It's at a slow pace, but it seems to be going in a somewhat forward direction. For the last two weeks he has not had any puffing episodes, which is extremely exciting. His lungs are still battling the plural effusions and thick edenemous chest walls, but I have faith that they will prevail. On the 12th he had a rough night and really gave Nurse S a run for her money. We still don't know exactly what was wrong with Gabe, he just wasn't happy and nothing seemed to help calm him down. He's had little spells of this mystery agitation the last couple of afternoons, but gets through them and then crashes out. No major changes have been made over the last few days. Just some little tweaks to the vent here and there. As of this morning he was sitting so comfortably they were planning on weaning a bit on his sedation drips. Nurse S and I gave Bubba a bath on Tuesday and he really liked that for the most part. We gave his coconut a good scrubbing, and found that once you get all the crusties off of him, he really does have curly hair. It dried in the cutest fluffy-spikey-half-loop curls you have ever seen. I can't wait until his shaved patches grow back and I can get my hands on some hair gel. Gabe still has a long battle ahead. I pray that we are finally on the right path and will start really moving forward without anymore major set-backs. At this point I honestly would be shocked if he was home before Christmas. That's alright though, I've already got big plans for pimping his crib for the holidays. Thanks to GG and the super cool blanket Bubba is now sporting, I think he has to be the spiffiest little dude in the entire NICU.

A huge thank you to all of our family, friends and loyal Gabe followers, for all of your love and support. We are truly the most blessed people in the entire world.

No comments: