Monday, October 5, 2009

October 4-5, 2009

After a rough week, Gabe had a pretty darn good weekend. No major issues or agitations, like earlier in the week. Justs lots of sleep and happy awake times. Unfortunately....this "happy" trend did not last. Late Sunday night Bubba became a wild man! He started his crazy retracting (taking lots of fast shallow breaths), apendages were flaling, blood gasses were out of wack, he had a fever that reached somewhere around 103 degrees, all of his PRN's (extra doses of sedation) were used plus some, and still nothing could be done to calm him down. X-rays were taken of his lungs and abdomen, but they all looked fine. A septic work-up was done to see if he might have a bug of some sort, and although the official results are not yet in, it looks like he has a UTI (urinary tract infection). I have had several of these in the past, and let me just say, OUCH!!! My poor Bubba! As if it's not bad enough to have two chest tubes, and ET tube and everything else, he now has to deal with the excruciating pain of a UTI. Antibiotics were started right away. When adults receive antibiotics for a UTI they are laced with a numbing agent, which takes effect quickly and makes the pain go away. This however, is not the case when it comes to UTI treatment in children, and this is why Gabe has completely maxed out all of his pain management options in the last 24 hours.

Gabe has been agitated all day. Not as much of a wild man as he was late last night and into the wee hours of the morning, but obvisously not a happy camper. He didn't want to be touched, required higher vent settings, and was having a "terrible horrible no good very bad day." To top things off, Jesse reported that G looks puffier, and his right chest tube doesn't seem to be working. In hopes of de-puffing him, they are going to up his Lasix dose, and as for the chest tube, it may end up getting pulled and replaced tonight.

It breaks my heart to know my son is going through all of this, and there isn't a darn thing I can do about it. There I was snoozing away last night and my child was writhing in pain. It wasn't until I received a call at 6:30 this morning that I knew what was going on. When I left last night Gabe was wide awake and totally content watching his rattle that we have suspended over his head. It's such a helpless feeling.

Here's to hoping tomorrow is a better day for G. I am sending him all of my super mommy powers.
FYI, the above picture was taken yesterday when he was a Happy Boy.


MorelloFamilia said...

Super Mommy Powers, activate! You are such a terrific Mom, don't be so hard on yourself when times get rough. You are doing the best job possible and everyone can see that. Gabe has an amazing support system between you, Jesse, and all of us from afar. Bravo to him for continuing the battle and marching forward!

PS: He looks so cute in the above photo. Yay for Gabe! :)

cmacdon72 said...

Oh Super G... You are just warming our hearts with your strength! Keep the fight going.. We all are on your side pushing you along. We love you guys...